Saturday 9 July 2016

Saturday Session #1: Good Morning Crisis

In all likelihood it will not be morning when you read this but it is still morning as I type, so good morning to you. If you’ve been reading Incidents of Trespass already this will hopefully feel quite unlike the posts we’ve seen so far; if you’ve only started reading IoT today (possibly after my linking it on my main blog), then hi! It’s my intention that every Saturday entry on the blog will be a direct address from me to you, rather than an element of the story that’s unfolding in the other entries. I don’t want this project to be like an ordinary blog all the time, but one thing I want the project to have is something like the feel of the old Vertigo comics I read back in the nineties, and one aspect of what made those so cool was that the wrters of the comic usually wrote the answers in the lettercolumns too, so you got a sense of the writer’s own voice. You felt included. I suppose in a sense that was an early approximation of the ease with which it’s possible to get in touch with creators today. These days, when people can (and do) tweet their every butthurt, gripe, and tale of hurt fee-fees to writers and artists at the stroke of a thumb on a haptic screen, it’s hard to convey a sense of just how special it felt when, say, Grant Morrison decided to publish a letter of yours about The Filth on his website. Or how fun it felt to get to the end of an issue of Transmetropolitan or Preacher and know you were in for a pure prose dose of Ellis or Ennis respectively. You just don’t get the same feeling from a comments section.

So that’s the feeling I hope the Saturday Sessions on this blog will help to create. So to that end, a bit of housekeeping: while there’s nothing to stop you commenting directly on entries themselves, I’d prefer it if you sent any questions, comments or inquiries to the Incidents of Trespass email inbox at TrespassSaturdays@gmx.co.uk , and I’ll answer the most interesting (even if all I can really say is ‘thanks!’) during next week’s Saturday Session. And now, to what I imagine will be more pressing matters for you.

What the fuck is this?

Incidents of Trespass is a number of things. Partially it’s a response to Brexit, and the increasing feeling I, and many others, have that England (I won’t say the UK because as we know two very important parts of the UK, Scotland and Northern Ireland, voted Remain) is becoming – or perhaps is simply revealed to be – a much nastier country than we thought it was back in the nineties. Partially it’s a response to the fact that, as a queer trans woman living in a country with hate crimes multiplying, in the aftermath of Orlando, and with the prospect that the leaders of the soi-disant ‘free world’ might, by the end of this year, be two cartoonish supervillains, I feel under siege. And partly it’s in response to a more personal crisis.

To understand Incidents of Trespass, you need to know two things.

One, since August last year I’ve been dealing with pretty bad PTSD as a result of finally admitting that something which happened to me a long time ago was an actual sexual assault – I’m not going to rehash that in detail, but you can read about it here.

And, two, that about a month ago, as a result of having had to deal with that PTSD since last August, I tried to kill myself.

Putting yourself back together after something like that is tricky. I’m not back together yet. I’m getting there. One of the things that has helped has been getting back into the practice of writing morning pages – three pages of writing, on anything, first thing in the morning, or as close to that as one can get. And after a while, I noticed that my morning pages weren’t coming out the way they usually do. I noticed that they were telling a story – a story which is partially mine, but also partially someone else’s. Someone whose story is one of trying to recover from a personal crisis at a time of national or even global crisis. I’ve joked to friends that at times I feel like a character in a novel whose author is trying to draw a heavy-handed parallel between my personal disintegration and that of the country – so if that’s what’s happening, why not write that novel myself? And so, this.

Incidents of Trespass is not exactly a novel, and not exactly a blog. Like a novel, it has a setting, a cast of characters, and a theme it intends to explore – the theme of crisis, from a queer perspective. Like a blog, it updates regularly, and it responds to events as they happen, but from a somewhat more oblique angle than the usual quick-response clickbait. My aim in IoT is not to tell people directly how to respond to their crises, whether political or personal, but simply to provoke, to question and to open up a space to think, which will hopefully lead to you finding your own solutions. On which note…

AJ’s Interests

This is not what this section of the Saturday Sessions is going to be called regularly – ideally I’d like one of you to suggest a snazzier name – but one of the things I really liked about those old lettercolumns was the way authors would recommend stuff to the readers. This led me to finding all sorts of fascinating stuff outside of comics, and helped to make me a more well-rounded, cultured person. For example, if it hadn’t been for reading Warren Ellis’s recommendations I’d never have heard Ute Lemper’s Punishing Kiss, which is one of my favourite albums.

So I’m going to end each Saturday session by pointing you in the direction of Things What I Have Found Interesting This Week. Our inaugural recommendations both relate to the architectural writer Owen Hatherley, whose books I urge you to check out, but I’m actually going to link here to two YouTube videos featuring the man. The first is this video in which Hatherley discusses the issue of class with the novelist and quondam Shooting Stars team captain Will Self: what fascinates me about this video is the discussion Hatherley and Self have about the large and baffling constituency of working class Tories, which seems incredibly relevant in the wake of Brexit. The other is this video of a talk given by Hatherley at the RCA which, while still interesting in itself, I choose to recommend to you because of the short film which precedes it, Dream City: More, Better, Sooner  by Alice May Williams, a film which I think provides an interesting visual and poetic take on our current moment. Both of these are long clips, one of which is audio only, but if you don’t have two hours to spare for both I urge you to at least check out Dream City, ideas from which will probably start to crop up in Ruby’s entries as Incidents of Trespass develops.

So, yeah, check those out, keep reading this blog, send your thoughts to TrespassSaturdays@gmx.co.uk  and join us next week for another Saturday Session, in which we will almost certainly not even try to look at topics like: is Kizz aware Ruby is trans? What’s the deal with Valerie’s relationship set-up? Will Ruby take Val up on her offer about that glass dildo and, perhaps most importantly, will Ruby ever not be smoking weed in one of her entries? Join us next week and, until then, remember – it isn’t really trespassing if you have to be there.

Cheers,

AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment